Wednesday, March 5, 2008

You Are A Splendid Butterfly


eek. So if my girlfriend and i were still together today, today would be our 4 year anniversary. If you asked me a couple months ago if i would be spending march 5th alone, i would've thought you were crazy, but thats life i guess. Anyways, i just watched the movie, "once" and i absolutely loved it, really really great, i recommend all of you see it. Funny i had the soundtrack before i saw the movie, so i sang along to every song, and it almost put me in tears, seriously, go get it. I got it on netflix, but i'm definitely going to go buy it...
I am so proud of myself, i found my true love in working out. I've run 3 miles every day for the past 2 weeks, plus do 300 sit ups and weights. I'll probably do double time today to keep my mind off of everything, so its going to be great...my mom is scared, she thinks i'm losing too much weight, because i still don't eat much, but she'll get used to it.
Speaking of my mom, i decided to tell her about joining the peace core after college, and i thought she was going to be furious, but it turns out she almost joined when she got out of high school, so she was very accepting of the idea. It seems as though every day, i become more and more convinced it is what i want to do, it will give my life so much meaning, but i have my seminar tomorrow, so i'll let you all know how it goes.
Okay so i have to say this, i put jack johnson up on that stupid survey thing because i can't stand him, and i thought my friends who read this had good taste in music and didn't like him either, but maybe i was wrong? I can name 1000 musicians better then jack johnson. Jesus, in his interview with spin magazine, he admitted to being completely one dimensional, and admitted to using 2 damn chords for allllllll of his songs...horrible. Even people like joshua radin, who is signed under brushfire records, jack johnson's own label has soooo much more talent then him. It bugs me when bands like the magnetic fields wait around for their big break and never get it, despite deserving it 10x over jj.
I cannot describe how much i have fallen in love with the magnetic fields, over the past couple of weeks it is all i have listened to. In 1999, nearly 10 years ago, lead singer stephin merritt released "69 love songs." It is 69 songs on 3 discs, 23 per disc, and each song, on every album is incredible. His lyrics make your legs shake, and his voice is hauntingly beautiful. This is the music that should be on the cover of rolling stone, this is the music that should be headlining a day at coachella, because this is nothing less then perfect. I'm only posting one of his songs, but i hope to post more soon as i convert his music from m4a files to mp3, but this is probably one of my top 10 fave from them, listen to the lyrics and float away. The other is a cover of a magnetic fields song by the shins. Obviously they, along with the arcade fire (posted earlier), both appreciate the art that stephen merritt creates. And i hope you will too!
Btw despite hillary clinton winning big last night, she still has absolutely no chance in getting the nomination, i've done the math, and it seems virtually impossible. hooray?? absolutely.

The Magnetic Fields - All My Little Words
The Shins - Strange Powers (The Magnetic Fields Cover)

No comments: